This is Andrew, Brianna, and Jessica. Thank you for taking the time to visit our blog. We love adoption and it has already blessed our lives so much! Adoption is an incredibly brave choice, and one we don't take lightly in our home. We love Jessica's birth mom and are so thankful for her. We want you to know we are thinking of you and praying for you. We know that prayers are answered and that God will bless you with the decisions you are making; we hope you can feel His love and our love for you.
We adopted Jessica as an infant in 2010 and we are so grateful for her birth mom and our relationship with her. Our family grew because of adoption, and we see her birth family as a part of our family and we love them! Having them in our family has been a blessing for all of us. We hope to have an open adoption again with you because we have seen how incredible it truly is!
We want you to be able to get to know us a little, but it can be hard to describe your family in a letter. Instead, here are 10 random facts about us to help you get to know us:
1. Andrew considers our first date together as the one where his roommate asked me out and Andrew was with another girl. While canoeing, he said he realized he had the wrong girl in his canoe. We still like to go canoeing, but now, we are in the same canoe.
2. Brianna has been skydiving, which is pretty surprising because she is no daredevil and pretty cautious. Andrew thinks that is crazy because the idea of jumping out of an airplane sounds terrifying! (Side note from Brianna...I didn't jump, but the instructor strapped to me did, and he was big enough to pull me out of that plane with him. Never again!)
3. We like to celebrate half birthdays in our family. All of our family celebrations are pretty close: our anniversary in April, Andrew’s birthday in May, Brianna’s birthday in June, and Jessica’s in July. This way, we can celebrate all year! We don’t do much, just a small cake (sometimes half a cake) or fun treat, we put up our Happy 1/2 Birthday sign and other decorations, and of course, sing “Happy half birthday to you.”
4. We have two pets: a guinea pig named Daisy who squeaks every morning until we feed her, and a yellow lab named Lady, who loves to be near us and part of the family.
5. We have so many games, but we keep buying more (usually at thrift stores)! Now that Jessica is getting older, we love that we can play more than Candyland and Chutes and Ladders. Some of our favorites (right now) are: LIFE, Sorry, Tenzi, Sequence, and Pass the Pigs.
6. In our first home after we were married, we experienced almost every possible disaster! First, we had a septic tank/plumbing catastrophe, a flameless kitchen fire that filled the house and all our possessions with smoke, and a gas leak in the neighborhood which caused us to evacuate. We also had our phone lines ripped off the house by a garbage truck, a flood in the basement, and gale force winds that were tearing the roof off an old shed (don't worry...Andrew climbed up there in those winds to secure the roof). If you want the full scoop, check out the post here.
7. Every Christmas we each make a gingerbread house out of graham crackers, frosting, and way too much candy! Seriously, we buy so much, and spend a long time decorating. It is one of our favorite traditions!
8. We have lived in all the “aska” states (Alaska and Nebraska). One of those was the most beautiful state in the country. Hint: It wasn’t Nebraska!
9. Jessica and Andrew love ketchup on a lot of weird things. Andrew puts it on chicken pot pie, and Jessica even likes it for dipping her apple slices into. Brianna likes ketchup too, on French fries, hamburgers, and normal things.
10. Andrew can do some pretty funny things with his face. He can move his eyebrows with precision and accuracy, he can make the biggest frown in the world, and he can make a crazy half-frown half-smile. You will have to see it some time! Jessica loves making faces with dad and he is teaching her how to move her eyebrows too!
That’s us in a nutshell but there is a whole lot more we would love to share with you. We would love to learn more about you as well. You can get to know us more by calling or texting us at 801-477-6621 or by sending us an email: andrewbrianna21 (at) gmail (dot) com. For now...keep reading!
Andrew, Brianna, and Jessica
Who are we?
What Brianna has to say about Andrew: So, obviously, I like Andrew because I married him, but honestly, pretty much everybody likes Andrew. I actually can't think of anyone who doesn't...but I don't know everyone in the world. He is such a people person, and can really make everyone feel comfortable. At the same time, he is brutally honest, but that just makes you like him more because you know he won't lie to you. Andrew is a great husband! He helps with the dishes, takes Jessica on daddy daughter dates, and likes to fix things whenever they aren't working quite right. When I am stressed, he helps me sort out my life and prioritize things. He is a great example of service and he serves well in the Church. He is a great dad too and Jessica loves him! You can often find her climbing on his back, jumping on him, sitting on his foot asking him to carry her around, or riding on his shoulders. He's great!