Bowling and Airplanes

Andrew and I get to work with the young single adult group at church and we have had some fun activities! A few weeks ago, we went bowling on the dollar night. After the leagues are done at 9:30, it starts, and it is only $1 for shoes and $1 for every game. We haven't been bowling very often; this was only our second time in the last year and a half. But, in high school, I was able to take a PE class where we went bowling for a few months, and although I wasn't good, I definitely improved. Unfortunately, the other night was only a reminder that I didn't improve enough.

Look at that swing!


I set what I thought was a realistic goal of getting at least 100 for my score. That seemed very realistic because you can get a total of 300 points. If this was a test and I got 100 out of 300, it would be failing. Fortunately, it wasn't a test, just a game of bowling! We played two games, and in the first I got a 90. The second game, I got a 94. Andrew started the night with a 119 and in the second game he got a 92. If you notice from the scores below (second one), he got a lot of spares. Unfortunately, he didn't get a strike all night!

If you will notice my score (bottom one), and look in the last two frames, you will see that I got a strike...followed by two gutter balls. What a way to end the game!

Even though we didn’t do great, it was a great night! We had a lot of fun with those who are able to come.


Last week, we decided to make paper airplanes and do airplane golf. Basically, it is just like frisbee golf, but we did it inside, made our own targets, and threw airplanes instead of frisbees. We had done this a week or so before with our Families Supporting Adoption (FSA) group and it was a lot of fun! I made a beautiful plane called "The Arrow." This plane deserved a name; it was long and straight and I was hoping it would fly straight as well. I probably should have given it another name, because although it flew beautifully, it rarely flew straight at the target. My score was almost higher than my bowling score!


Andrew is a master airplane architect, and even though we had books that showed different airplanes, usually his normal one flew the best. This is the airplane he has been making pretty much his whole life. His dad used to make paper airplanes for them, so all through school, whenever he needed a plane to fly, this is the one he made. After the activity, we kept flying them around the gym, trying to get them to do loops or really go the distance.


Here are some more fun pictures from the night. We have a sports setting on our camera that takes picture after picture and works well when you are moving around. But my favorite pictures in these are the ones right after we let go of the plane.


Even though it looks like I am dancing to "Staying Alive," I promise I was flying planes too.

Then again...maybe not!

Andrew makes a great statue!

I think we must like paper airplanes a lot because this is not the first time we've done them. When we were first dating, Andrew planned up a paper airplane flying date and it was one of my favorites! We went to the Tanner Building at BYU to make them and fly them. This building is kind of weird; it is a big rectangle, and all of the classrooms and offices are on the outer part of the rectangle. Then, there is a big open atrium in the middle (see photo below). When you walk in on one side, you are on the fourth floor, and then you can go all the way down through the atrium, and walk out the other side on the first floor. If you go at night, when there aren't students there studying, it is a great place to fly paper airplanes because they glide forever! Just watch out for the reflection pool at the bottom!

Picture courtesy of BYU Marriott School Photo File